Friday, February 10, 2012

Review of I Peter: Finding Encouragement in Troubling Times. Week Five


Beauty. Ah. Yes. You know, I am on Pinterest. Here's what I learn about beauty from the assorted pins I come across:

Beauty is...
~A flat stomach
~A perfect figure in a bikini
~The right hair cut
~Perfectly applied make up
~Big eyes, pouty lips, pert nose.

And on and on and on.

We are an image obsessed culture. And, quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm sick of feeling guilty for my weight. Keeping up with the latest clothes is beyond my budget. And I don't have time to be bothered with make up. And I will not wear a bikini. 

But I feel pressure. To be skinny (I do think we need to be healthy and mindful about our food and exercise). To look a certain way (I do want to be pretty for my husband). Pressure, guilt, embarrassment, shame, stress.

But here's the thing: All the muscle tone and make up and expensive clothes in the world does not "beauty" make. Peter (good old Peter...I love that guy) says that true beauty is found in a woman who lives in purity and reverence. 

Yes! Yes! That's it!

A woman who follows Jesus. Who strives to be holy, consecrated to the Lord! Her heart is beautiful ("Golden Hearted" as we teach our daughter to call it). And her light radiates, reflecting the Love of Jesus.

I was complaining to my husband about how men age so much better than women. 

He said, "Well, maybe that's why it's so important for a woman to really shine the love of Jesus. You know, to show how truly beautiful she is."

I think that's exactly what Peter was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment